CEDR accredited mediator
Judge of First Tier Tribunal (Property Division)
I specialise in property disputes - and I tackle them from all angles: my primary profession is as an advocate and adviser, but I also help parties to resolve disputes through ADR, and sit as a part time tribunal judge.
- 1995 MA (Oxon): first class degree in Jurisprudence (Law).
- 1996 Bar School, placing 3rd in the year; called to the Bar.
- 1997 Commenced practice at 9 Old Square, Lincoln’s Inn (subsequently merged with Maitland Chambers)
- 2007 CEDR accredited mediator.
- 2008 Moved to Falcon Chambers
- Appointed Deputy Adjudicator to the Office of the Adjudicator to HM Land Registry (part time). JSB Tribunal Judge training undertaken.
- 2013 Judge of the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) (Land Registration) (part time)
I speak good (but not fluent) French and hold a Diplome de francais des affaires 2eme degre (DFA2) avec mention tres bien (distinction) (2008).
Dispute resolution experience
I have determined or mediated a variety of property disputes, and a few others. The issues have included the following:
- Whether an oral compromise had been made and was effective. This is the only occasion I have been appealed. The appeal was dismissed:  Ch 363;
- The acquisition of easements by prescription and/or the rule in Wheeldon v Burrows;
- Adverse possession claims;
- Whether making an application for a property adjustment order entitles an applicant to a unilateral notice;
- Boundary dispute;
- Several cases raising landlord and tenant issues including: sums due under the lease (arrears and damages for disrepair, damage to property/ landlord’s fixtures and chattels), forfeiture, surrender and unauthorised alterations.
As well as making final determinations, I also determine many interim applications and applications for costs on paper, and I have experience of acting as legal assessor to the arbitrator.
In addition, I have advised and represented parties in property arbitrations and claims arising from such arbitrations, most recently in Patley Wood Farm LLP v Brake  EWHC 4035 (where the Court had to determine the appropriate test for enforcing a peremptory order).
- Derek Wood QC
- Jonathan Gaunt QC
- Kirk Reynolds QC
- Guy Fetherstonhaugh QC
- Timothy Fancourt QC
- Jonathan Karas QC
- Jonathan Small QC
- Stephen Jourdan QC
- Janet Bignell QC
- Caroline Shea QC
- Joanne R. Moss
- Barry Denyer-Green
- Gary Cowen
- Martin Dray
- Anthony Tanney
- Catherine Taskis
- Emily Windsor
- Stephanie Tozer
- Edward Peters