Tim Fancourt QC is a specialist in commercial and property litigation and arbitration, with particular reference to development and sale agreements, joint venture agreements, options, rent review, business tenancies, sureties, insolvency and professional negligence.
Tim has acted since 1989 as a specialist advocate and adviser, and over the last 10 years or so regularly as an arbitrator, expert and legal assessor. He is the Chairman of the Chancery Bar Association.
I was called to the Bar and took silk in 1987.
I have been in turn a Member of the Bar Council, the Bar Standards Board and of the Committee of the Chancery Bar Association.
I became a part-time judge in 2009 (Crown Court Recorder) and was made a Deputy High Court Judge (Chancery Division) in 2013. I am a Bencher of Lincoln’s Inn.
A full CV and list of recent cases is available here.
I am the author or editor of:
- Megarry’s Rent Acts and Assured Tenancies
- Enforceability of Landlord and Tenant Covenants, and
- A contributor to Lightman & Moss on Administrators and Receivers of Companies.
I have given Blundell Memorial Lectures (in 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2012) and lectures to the Chancery Bar Association, Arbrix and other associations and bodies on property and contract law and arbitration and dispute resolution.
Arbitration and similar work
- I am currently retained by agreement by two large commercial organisations to determine a series of high-value disputes as an adjudicator.
- I have acted in 2013 as an agreed arbitrator on 3 separate arbitrations relating to shopping centres and service charges, and as agreed expert to resolve a dispute about the meaning of rent review provisions in a portfolio of nearly a hundred retail showrooms.
- I also acted as legal assessor in 2013 to a surveyor arbitrator in determining issues relating to a rent review of oil installations.
- I have previously been appointed by the Chairman of the Bar to act as arbitrator in relation to disputes under development agreements and as to the meaning of a Tomlin Order in previous litigation.
- In addition, I have been instructed frequently by arbitrators to act as legal assessor in property arbitrations.
- I have recent experience of High Court proceedings challenging arbitration awards.
- I have considerable experience as a judge and arbitrator (etc.) of efficient problem-solving and managing parties and their requirements as a means of resolving issues and disputes.
- I have led many committees and working groups and am used to reading papers, listening to arguments and making informed decisions.
- I have considerable depth of legal knowledge in the fields summarised above and much experience in practice of cases in which the resolution of valuations and surveys (or other expert evidence) were at the heart of the dispute.
- Having acted in a number of high profile rent reviews and tenancy renewals, I have a good understanding of the principles and methods of valuation.
- Derek Wood QC
- Jonathan Gaunt QC
- Kirk Reynolds QC
- Guy Fetherstonhaugh QC
- Timothy Fancourt QC
- Jonathan Karas QC
- Jonathan Small QC
- Stephen Jourdan QC
- Janet Bignell QC
- Caroline Shea QC
- Joanne R. Moss
- Barry Denyer-Green
- Gary Cowen
- Martin Dray
- Anthony Tanney
- Catherine Taskis
- Emily Windsor
- Stephanie Tozer
- Edward Peters