Specialist in agricultural land and related legal areas; 38 years’ call and practice; textbook writer; Visiting Professor Royal Agricultural University; immensely experienced, including in particular in arbitration matters.
- MA (Cantab) 1978 (History and Law BA Hons 1975, Newnham College, Cambridge)
- Bar Finals 1976
- LLM in European Law 1994 (King’s College, London)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (by examination) 1990-2010
- Accredited Mediator 2007 (London School of Psychotherapy and Counselling, Regent’s College)
- Barrister called to the Inner Temple 1976, Lincolns Inn 1980 ad eundem
- Muir Watt and Moss Agricultural Holdings (14th edition) 1998 Sweet & Maxwell Property and Conveyancing Library
- Forthcoming this work will go into a 15th edition in early 2015.
- Consultant Halsbury’s Laws of England Fifth edition 2008 Vol 1 Agricultural Land (Butterworths Lexis Nexis)
- Consultant Halsbury’s Laws of England Fifth edition 2009 Vol 13 Commonhold (Butterworths Lexis Nexis)
- Consultant Halsbury’s Laws of England Fifth edition 2013 Vol 51 Fisheries and Aquaculture (Butterworths Lexis Nexis)
- Consultant, formerly editor, Hill & Redman Law of Landlord & Tenant, Agricultural Tenancies (Looseleaf) Butterworths Lexis Nexis
- Joint Editor title Agriculture in Practitioners’ Handbook of EC Law (Trenton 1998)
Preparation of numerous amendments and commentaries as member of the Agricultural Law Association standing Parliamentary sub-committee during passage of the Agricultural Holdings Act 1984, including institutional consultation and with MAFF (Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries & Food)
Standing specialist counsel retained by MAFF during preparation and passage of the Agricultural Tenancies Act 1995
Evidence provided to Parliamentary sub-committees considering EU milk quotas.
Professional experience and affiliations
- (Executive) Chairman 1993-1999, Agricultural Law Association
- Member Chancery Bar Association
- Savills Mediation Panel Member: Panel launch autumn 2010. Closed six-member panel to operate world-wide as dispute resolution appointment and service provider.
- Visiting Professor of the Royal Agricultural University, Cirencester, in the School of Real Estate and Land Management. (5 years extendable). November 2011 onwards
- Bar Professional Training Course Lecturer, City University, London (July 2011 onwards)
Member of leading specialist property chambers for approx 35 years full-time and as of July 2011, part-time. Practice currently includes general commercial property with emphasis on agricultural land and related EU regimes, and partnership disputes, valuation issues, dispute resolution by arbitration/ mediation.
Landlord and tenant work generally and in particular rent reviews. More generally: restrictive covenants, rights of way, title and contract interpretation and analysis. In this long period virtually all aspects of dealing with contracts and negotiations towards their conclusion have been experienced. Additionally, specific experience:
*Advocacy in courts in numerous reported cases
*Extensive experience of various kinds of civil litigation and the underlying paperwork including at the stage of its being prepared.
*From the beginning of practice, regular advocacy activity in private arbitration or a Tribunal, as the usual forum for cross-examination of expert witnesses and investigation of the detail of (often) valuations effectively under pressure or challenge.
*Acted as the legal adviser to appointed arbitrators
*Acted as the jointly instructed expert between parties in dispute.
*Acted as the arbitrator
*Acted as mediator
Published client commentary
"Joanne Moss as with many in Falcon, excels in tenancy disputes and is also an excellent choice of counsel for matters relating to single farm payment issues." Expertise: 'She is phenomenally tenacious, knows the art of advocacy, is hugely accessible and is liked by her clients'." Chambers UK Guide 2014 (Agriculture & Rural Affairs).
Listed as a Leading Junior: Legal 500 2013.
- Derek Wood QC
- Professor the Hon Clyde Croft AM SC
- Jonathan Gaunt QC
- Kirk Reynolds QC
- Guy Fetherstonhaugh QC
- Jonathan Karas QC
- Jonathan Small QC
- Stephen Jourdan QC
- Janet Bignell QC
- Caroline Shea QC
- Stephanie Tozer QC
- Joanne R. Moss
- Barry Denyer-Green
- Gary Cowen QC
- Martin Dray
- Anthony Tanney
- Catherine Taskis
- Emily Windsor
- Edward Peters